Craft a creative cake for a party girl who loves shopping. With some icing and sugar sweets, you can transform a cake into an edible shopping bag. Prepare one of these cakes for your next celebration or just to celebrate life and the joys of shopping.
Place 2 tbsp cake icing onto the centre of a cake plate, and stand the thawed frozen pound cake on one of its narrow ends on top of the cake icing which acts as a glue to hold the cake.
Spread a thin layer of cake icing over the entire cake, smoothing it with the spatula.
Roll fondant into a 3 to 6 mm (1/8 to 1/4 inch) thick square with a rolling pin on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar.
Drape the fondant sheet over the iced cake, and press it against the sides of the cake. Crease the edges with your fingers to make the edges of the “shopping bag” stand out. Trim the excess fondant from around the base of the cake with the knife.
Dab the ends of the black liquorice ropes into the cake icing and press each onto the wider side of the “shopping bag” in a u-shape to make each of the handles.
Gently press the fruit leather onto the top of the bag so that some of the pieces stick up to resemble tissue paper in the bag.
Look for prepared fondant at cake supply shops and craft shops. Cut out the shop name from a shopping bag from your favourite boutique and press it against the side of the cake before serving to create a more personalised shopping bag cake.
Tips and warnings
- Look for prepared fondant at cake supply shops and craft shops.
- Cut out the shop name from a shopping bag from your favourite boutique and press it against the side of the cake before serving to create a more personalised shopping bag cake.
Things you need
- 1 frozen pound cake, thawed
- Cake plate
- 450 g (1 lb) cake icing, any flavour
- 450 g (1 lb) fondant, any colour
- Rolling pin
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 2 black liquorice ropes, 30 cm (12 inches) long each
- 4 sheets of fruit leather