Depending on your taste and preference, buying shoes can be one of the most expensive fashion endeavours you can undertake. Unfortunately shoes are not generally built for resilience, and with time and wear the materials crack or peel, leaving unsightly damage on your footwear. To avoid having to buy a whole new pair of shoes, try repairing the damage with Shoe Goo, and adhesive product designed to bond parts of the shoe together, creating a solid seal that can add miles of life to your shoes.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paper Towel
- Petroleum jelly
Wipe the damaged area of your shoe with a damp cloth to remove any dirt, dust or other contaminants; these contaminants may impair the way the adhesive bonds with the shoe. Dry the area with a towel.
Unscrew the cap on the Shoe Goo and use the pointer on the top of the cap to puncture the tube's seal.
Squeeze Shoe Goo onto each surface to be bonded. Allow the Goo to sit for two minutes to allow it to partially dry.
Squeeze the two repair surfaces together and apply pressure for at least two minutes, to encourage the glue to stick. Wipe away any Goo that runs from the seam with a paper towel or cloth dampened in acetone.
Wipe off the top of the tube with a cloth dampened with acetone to make sure no Shoe Goo gets into the threads of the tube. Rub a small drop of petroleum jelly into the threads and re-screw the cap; the jelly will prevent the threads from sticking and preventing you from opening the tube later.
Allow the repair work to dry for 24 hours; if you are working in a very cold area, full bond may not take effect until 72 hours after repair.
Tips and warnings
- Spot test Shoe Goo on a small area of the shoe to make sure it will not discolour or fade the shoe.
- Work in a cool, dry area; Shoe Goo bonds and dries best between 21.1 and 29.4 degrees C.
- Once Shoe Goo has set, it is extremely difficult to reposition your repair work. Carefully line everything up before you connect the two surfaces to be bonded.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for