If gift tokens seem too impersonal but you don't know what to get for the person who has everything, a money tree allows you to give the gift of cash in a creative way. Money trees also provide a way for everyone in an office or group to chip in for a gift that requires no shopping from the gift-buying organiser. There isn't a single right way to make a money tree. Use your imagination and personalise the tree to the recipient.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Floral foam
- Tree branch
- Hot glue
- Dollar bills
Place a block of floral foam in a 6-inch diameter flower pot. Cut the block to fit the pot with a utility knife, if necessary.
Cut or collect a dead branch from a tree. Choose a branch that is approximately 2 feet tall and has five or more smaller branches or twigs attached to it. Branches that resemble small, leafless trees work best.
Poke the branch into the floral foam, pushing it down to the bottom of the pot. Remove the branch from the foam and squeeze hot glue into the hole. Replace the branch and hold it in place until the glue hardens, approximately two minutes.
Place river rocks or floral marbles on top of the floral foam to camouflage it. Alternately, wrap the pot in fabric, gather the ends of the fabric around the trunk of the money tree, and tie a ribbon around the fabric and trunk to secure.
Roll dollar bills lengthwise into tubes. Tie a 6-inch length of ribbon around the tubes to secure them. Tie the ends of the ribbon around the branches in a bow to attach them to the tree. Disperse the dollar bill leaves evenly throughout the tree.
Tips and warnings
- Spray paint the branch white, silver or another colour before decorating.
- Decorate the pot to fit the occasion. You can also add small ornaments or other decorations to the tree.
- Shallow pots may fall over under the weight of the money tree. Place two or three large river stones in the bottom of the pot before adding the floral foam to help weigh it down.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for