Sloan flush valves have been a workhorse in public rest rooms for years. Their reliability and ease of use make them worry free--most of the time. Since the valve does contain moving parts, it can eventually present a problem. Properly diagnosing the problem will aid in quickly repairing the valve and getting it back into service.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Replace the handle gasket and seal assembly if the flush valve handle leaks. After turning off the inlet water supply, remove the handle nut with a toothless wrench and pull the valve assembly out. Take off the gasket and replace it with a new one. Reinstall the handle assembly into the handle coupling and make up the nut hand-tight. Finish tightening the nut with the wrench until it is snug.
Check the main water supply if the flush valve does not work at all. If the main water supply is turned on, check the flush valve's relief valve. If the relief valve opens and continuously releases water across it, the system will not flush normally.
Remove the valve assembly and access the valve diaphragm if the valve chatters during flushing. The diaphragm valve is located in the top of the appliance, just under the valve. The diaphragm is not seating properly or is installed upside down. Correct the problem and reinstall the valve assembly.
Remove any trash within the bypass orifice if the valve flushes continuously. Debris obstructing the valve, or a malfunctioning relief valve, will prevent the flush valve from shutting off. If cleaning the bypass valve does not cure the problem, an inside valve rebuild kit installation is required.
Tips and warnings
- Only use toothless wrenches and pliers to service the Sloan flush valve.
- Always check water supply pressure as part of all Sloan valve troubleshooting. Excessive water supply, as well as inadequate water supply, will prevent a Sloan valve from functioning properly
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for