Decorating ceramic tiles with assorted art techniques can provide hours of entertainment and endless options of different projects. From making coasters to decorating tiles for a kitchen backsplash, you may be surprised at the different uses for decorated square tiles. Your decorating technique can include expensive painting and stamping, or you can keep it simple and use something as basic as a Sharpie permanent marker. Sharpie makes their markers in a wide variety of different colours, enabling you to create bold and vivid designs on a square tile.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Square tiles
- Clean cloth
- Sharpie markers
Wipe the top surface of the square tile with the cloth to remove any surface dirt or dust.
Sketch a design or picture onto the tile with the pencil. Make a geometric design with straight or curved lines or draw a picture. Suggested pictures include flowers, shapes, fruits, vegetables, leaves, trees and animals. Erase any mistakes you make as you sketch and work on your preliminary sketch until you like it.
Use the Sharpie markers to draw the design or picture onto the ceramic tile, tracing over the lines you made with the pencil. Work carefully to avoid mistakes because the Sharpie markers are permanent.
Continue working until you fill in the entire design or picture with the assorted colours of Sharpie markers. Allow the ceramic tile to dry completely before doing anything else with the tile.
Tips and warnings
- Sharpie makes oil-based paint markers that are suitable for use on ceramic tiles. Choose from medium tips, bold tips and extra fine tips.
- If you are making drink coasters, draw an outline of the tile onto the back side of the self-adhesive cork. Cut out the cork square with the scissors and remove the adhesive backing. Attach the adhesive backing to the backside of the tile to make it into a coaster (the cork will protect your tabletop surfaces).
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for