The term French manicure is often used to describe natural-coloured nails with a bright white tip. Many French manicures done in nail salons involve the use of artificial nail tips or white nail polish to achieve this look but you can whiten your fingernails without painting them or applying false tips. Smoking, dark nail polish or exposure to the sun can all give your nails a yellow appearance. Avoid this problem with regular cleaning and care to keep your nails looking their best.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Soapy water
- Nail brush
- Warm water
- Effervescent denture-cleaning tablet
- White nail pencil
Clean your nails with warm, soapy water and a nail brush. Brush your nails gently with a back and forth motion to remove dirt from under your fingernails which may give them a yellow or brown appearance.
Fill a bowl with warm water and add an effervescent denture-cleaning tablet to the bowl. Soak your fingernails in the water for at least five minutes to help whiten the tips of your nails.
Wash your hands with soap and water. Dry them with a soft towel.
Purchase a white nail pencil from a drug store or a beauty supply store. Moisten the tip of the pencil with water and colour the underside of your nail tips with the pencil to give them a temporary white appearance.
Tips and warnings
- Apply a clear base coat to your nails before applying nail polish. This base coat will prevent nail polish, especially dark shades, from discolouring your nails.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for