Camping enthusiasts appreciate a portable shower when camping in primitive areas or parks where there are no showers available. PVC pipe, a versatile material, is used for the shower curtain frame and a shower bag eliminates the need for running water. A PVC shower frame is lightweight, easy to transport and takes up very little space in a camper's vehicle. It is cost-effective as well, and the materials are readily available at home improvement centres or hardware stores.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 4 pieces of PVC pipe, 1 ½ inches diameter and 3 feet long
- 4 elbow connectors
- 24 shower curtain rings
- 2 shower curtains
- 5 pieces of nylon cord, 4 feet long
- 2 carabiner clips
- Shower bag
Sand the ends of the PVC pipe sections to remove any burrs or rough areas.
Insert one section of PVC pipe into one of the elbow connectors. Attach another elbow connector to the free end of the pipe section. Continue alternately adding pipe sections and elbow connectors until you form a square frame.
Attach the shower curtain rings to the shower curtains. Attach the shower curtains to the PVC pipe frame. Spread each shower curtain so that it wraps around two consecutive sides of the frame with an equal number of shower curtain rings on each side.
Tie one end of a nylon cord to one corner of the PVC pipe frame. Repeat for the other three corners. Tie the free ends of all four nylon cords to a carabiner clip so that they all meet in the middle and you can hang the frame with the clip.
Secure another length of nylon cord to the carabiner clip, making it slightly shorter than the others. Attach another carabiner clip to the free end of this cord.
Suspend the frame from the carabiner clip in the middle of the cords with a rope from a tree or other convenient overhang. Attach a shower bag filled with water to the carabiner clip at the free end of the fifth nylon cord. Spread the shower curtains evenly around the frame and the portable shower is ready.
Tips and warnings
- You can overlap the shower curtains where they meet in the middle. Attach the ends of each shower curtain to a shower curtain ring around the frame corner from the rest of the rings it hangs on.
- You can purchase shower bags at outdoor outfitter stores or camping supply shops.
- Do not use PVC pipe more than 1 ½ inches in diameter because the shower curtain rings will not fit.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for