Slow Internet speed can be frustrating and reduce your efficiency while online. Videos, gaming and other Internet activity today often requires fast Internet speeds. There are many programs available that you can install on your Windows XP Home Edition system to increase your Internet speed. Internet speed boosting programs often work by storing downloaded information onto your computer, eliminating the need to download the same information more than once. Internet speed boosting software can often be found for free online, and can increase your Internet speed up to 400 per cent.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Internet speed boosting software
Download and install an Internet speed boosting program. One example of a free Internet speed booster is Fast Cache. Download Fast Cache from the Analog X website to install it. Fast Cache will work automatically while running, and will show up as an icon in your taskbar in Windows XP Home Edition. Fast Cache stores and indexes DNS (Domain Name Server) information on your computer that your Web browser downloads when you visit a website. When you visit the website again later, Fast Cache recalls the information from your computer, saving time by not having to search online for it. DNS information includes the IP (Internet Protocol) address of a website, and the location of the websites hosting. Fast Cache can reduce website load time by two seconds per website visited.
Download Robust Free Internet Speed Booster 3.0, from Gold-Software's website. Robust Free Internet Speed Booster works by preventing common disconnections between your modem and your Internet Service Provider. Disconnection prevention is handled by sending frequent pings, or signals, to your ISP, keeping an otherwise idle connection active. The program also clears memory spaces in your computers RAM (Random Access Memory) that are no longer needed, this allows for new information to be stored in the RAM. Robust Internet Speed Booster can increase the Web browsing speed of your Windows XP Home Edition system by up to 400 per cent.
Install OSS Internet Speed Booster 3.0 which can be downloaded for free from the download website at CNET. OSS Internet Speed Booster will increase your Web surfing speeds on Windows XP Home Edition systems by optimising Windows settings to work better with your computers hardware. This task is automated and only requires allowing the program to scan and modify hardware profiles and settings on your system. OSS Internet Speed Booster also includes DNS indexing features, modem disconnection prevention and RAM management.
Tips and warnings
- Open the start up configuration in Windows XP Home Edition by typing "msconfig" in the "Run" box from your start menu. Choose the second tab, labelled "Start-up." Remove any program that you don't need to start up when your computer is powered on from the list. This will speed up the start-up time of your computer, which will allow you to access the Internet faster from when the computer starts.
- Installing incorrect modem drivers can cause slow Internet connection speed in Windows XP Home Edition. To check if your computer has the correct modem driver installed, go to "Device Manager" in the control panel of XP. Scroll down to your modem, and right click on it. Select "Update Driver" and allow Windows to search the web for the correct modem driver.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for