Mold grows in wet, damp areas. If you have mould growing on your leather coat, this could be due to moisture generated by a leak in your walls or even from perspiration. Proper care and treatment of your leather coat will help ensure that your coat lasts for years to come. The first step to treating a mouldy coat is to remove the moisture source. Once you have taken care of that, you can focus on cleaning the mouldy leather coat.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Rubbing alcohol (or vinegar)
- Small bucket (or spray bottle)
- Clean, white, lint-free rag
- Face mask
Rub the surface of leather with a dry cloth to wipe away surface mould. Avoid scrub brushes as they can scratch the leather. Use gentle wiping motions to remove as much as possible before proceeding.
Place 1 cup rubbing alcohol and 1 cup water into a small bucket. Alternately, you can place the mixture into a spray bottle if you would like. If you prefer, you can use vinegar instead of rubbing alcohol.
Mix the liquids together to combine.
Dip a clean rag into the mixture. Choose a rag that is white to avoid transferring dyes. Also, the rag should be lint free. Wring out the excess moisture from the rag. You want it to be damp, not wet. If you use a spray bottle, you can spray the mixture directly onto the coat and then wipe it away with a cloth.
Wipe down the leather with the rag. Avoid excessive rubbing, which could damage the leather. Rinse your rag as necessary and re-moisten. Continue to wipe down the leather until all of the mould is gone.
Allow the leather coat to air dry, away from direct sunlight. If you would like, you can also turn a fan on the coat to help expedite the drying process.
Tips and warnings
- Wear gloves and a ventilating face mask when working with mould. Molds are generally harmless; however, they can cause respiratory problems if you have asthma, allergies or other health conditions.
- Do not use the water and alcohol mixture on nubuck or suede. It will ruin the leather.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for