How to Make a Dog Vomit After Eating Chocolate

Written by christy bagasao
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Make a Dog Vomit After Eating Chocolate
Chocolate and dogs are a bad combination. (dog image by Michal Tudek from

Long have dog owners heard the warning not to feed chocolate to their canine pals. Cocoa beans contains theobromine, a toxic stimulant that affects the nervous system of dogs. Because theobromine metabolises slowly in dogs, it stays in the bloodstream longer. Chocolate poisoning in dogs can eventually cause damage to the kidney and heart, and can even lead to death. A quick canine first aid tactic to combat chocolate poisoning is making the dog vomit. Act quickly for best results.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Other People Are Reading

Things you need

  • 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide solution
  • Syringe with cc markings or tsp measure
  • Activated charcoal

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    Measure 3 ccs, or roughly 1/2 tsp, of 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide solution per 9.07 Kilogram of your dog's weight.

    How to Make a Dog Vomit After Eating Chocolate
    Chocolate is deadly to dogs. (chocolate-box image by Jaroslav Machacek from
  2. 2

    Squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the dog's mouth with the syringe or pour it in with a spoon, cup or funnel. Hold the dog's mouth shut to be sure he swallows.

  3. 3

    Wait 10 to 15 minutes. If the dog has not vomited, repeat every 10 minutes. Alternatively, try 1 large tbsp of salt for every 6.8 Kilogram of body weight or a single dose of 1 tsp of syrup of ipecacuanha, the latter preferably used under the guidance of a veterinarian.

    How to Make a Dog Vomit After Eating Chocolate
    Keep chocolate out of reach for a healthy dog. (dog image by Ramona smiers from
  4. 4

    Once the dog vomits, feed her activated charcoal moistened with water to absorb toxins. Use the directions on your packaging or use 1 tsp for a dog under 11.3 Kilogram and 2 to 4 tsp for a dog over 11.3 Kilogram. Your dog may still need the assistance of a veterinarian, depending on the length of time the chocolate was in the dog's system, the age and size of the dog, and the symptoms the poisoned dog is exhibiting. It is always best to call your local veterinarian.

Tips and warnings

  • California Poison Control advises calling a veterinarian before inducing vomiting in your dog.
  • A dog may require up to three days for full recovery, according to Dog Symptoms
  • All dog owners should be prepared with a canine first aid kit such as the one recommended by the ASPCA, according to Dog Owner's Digest.
  • If your poisoned dog is unconscious or nonresponsive, do not induce vomiting, according to The Daily Puppy.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.