If your computer keyboard gets wet, it's important to clean up the spill right away to avoid permanent damage. A spill can seriously damage the keyboard and cause it to short circuit or corrode. Whether your laptop or desktop keyboard gets soiled, the clean up process is the same. Once it's cleaned, allow enough time for the keyboard to dry before using your computer again. To avoid getting your keyboard wet in the future, keep all liquids away from your computer at all times.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Towel or cloth
- Distilled water
Turn off the computer right away and disconnect any electrical cords. If the keyboard connects to your desktop, disconnect the wire connecting the keyboard to your tower. If you are unsure what cord to disconnect, follow the cord from the back of the keyboard to the computer tower. If the keyboard is attached to your laptop, remove the laptop's battery. You don't want to be shocked as a result of the spill.
Place a dry cloth or towel over the spill to soak up any standing liquid.
Flip the keyboard upside down so excess liquid can drain from underneath the keys for at least 20 minutes. If your laptop keyboard got wet, keep the laptop open to a 90-degree angle and flip it over.
Soak a cotton swab with distilled water and gently wipe the soiled keys. Wipe the wet keys with a dry cotton swab.
Spray WD-40 onto a clean cotton swab and wipe any areas that show signs of corrosion. Let it dry overnight.
Alternatively gently dry the keyboard using a hair dryer, taking care not to get the keyboard too hot.
Tips and warnings
- Don't attempt to plug-in the keyboard until you are sure it is dry, as this could permanently damage the keyboard.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for