Excess moisture and inadequate ventilation within a car can cause mould and mildew growth. Mold is nurtured by the accumulation of toxins, gases and pollutants, and can be identified by a musty odour and thin, white to bluish-green growth. It is essential to remove the mould from the car immediately, as mould can affect your health and damage your car. If not removed, mould can eat away upholstery until the fabric rots and falls apart.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Whisk broom
- Vacuum cleaner with attachments
- 1/4 tsp colour safe bleach
- 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 2 clean cloths
- Thick towel
- Electric heater
Open all of the doors of the car to allow ventilation. The sunlight and air will stop the mould growth.
Brush the loose mould spores off of the upholstery with a whisk broom. Be sure to wash the broom thoroughly before reusing it.
Run a vacuum cleaner attachment over the upholstery to remove even more mould spores. Once you are finished vacuuming, remove the disposable bag vacuum and dispose of it immediately. If the vacuum does not have a disposable bag, empty the reusable bag outdoors.
Pour 1/4 tsp colour safe bleach and 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide into a bowl. Dampen a clean cloth in the solution, and rub the cloth over the upholstery.
Rinse the solution off of the upholstery with a cloth dampened in warm water. Dry the upholstery thoroughly with a thick towel, and then place an electric heater near the upholstery to absorb the moisture.
Tips and warnings
- Rubbing alcohol diluted with water can be used instead of bleach and hydrogen peroxide.
- Do not leave the electric heater unattended for a long period of time in your car.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for