Writing a eulogy about your grandfather takes patience to find the right words to honour him and the life he lived. Give yourself some time to think about this speech, since this is a difficult point in your life and the process of writing it will be emotionally charged. This speech should describe who your grandfather was and how he influenced you. There is no required length; present the eulogy in a way that is heartfelt and sincere.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Brainstorm the main points that you want to cover in your speech. Write down each point so you can visualise it and put it in the correct order. Some topics for your grandfather's eulogy could be lessons he taught you or knowledge he passed down to you.
Highlight your grandfather's positive personal qualities and unique quirks. Maybe he had a sense of humour or saw the good side of everything, and therefore helped you see it, too. Paint a picture for the audience of who your grandfather was to you.
Insert humour into the speech in an appropriate manner. This is a speech honouring your grandfather's life, not a comedy show. An appropriate example of humour would be telling a funny experience you had with him.
Check the tone of your speech. It should sound respectful and not too casual. Your grandfather was your elder; your speech should reflect this relationship.
Conclude your speech with a line or two from his favourite song or a phrase from his favourite book that reflects who he was as a person. Tell the audience who originally wrote these lines, and that this artist or author was your grandfather's favourite.
Tips and warnings
- Read the speech in front of a least two people before you present it. Ask for their honest opinions and constructive criticism.
- Do not write your speech based on what you think the audience wants to hear. If you do not write from the heart, your speech will sound forced and fake.
- Do not say anything that will offend anyone in the audience, such as jokes of a sexual or grotesque nature.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for