Deciding how to quilt a quilt top is often the most difficult part of making a quilt. Many traditional quilt designs also have traditional quilting methods associated with them. One such pattern is the Trip Around the World quilt top. The traditional method of quilting a Trip Around the World quilt top is relatively simple, and can be marked and quilted by a novice with ease.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Trip Around the World quilt top
- Mechanical pencil
- 6-by-24-inch rotary ruler
- Size 00 brass safety pins
- Stretcher bars
- Long straight pins
- 10-inch quilting hoop
- Quilt backing
- Quilt batting
- Size 10 betweens quilting needles
- Quilting thread
Lay your quilt top out smooth on a table. Using your mechanical pencil and rotary ruler, mark an "X" in each pattern square. (To increase efficiency, draw lines through a series of squares aligned on the diagonal.) Repeat this process over the entire surface of the quilt in both directions.
Layer and baste your quilt top, batting and backing. Attach the backing to the stretcher bars with the wrong side of the fabric facing up using the long safety pins. Lay the batting on the backing, then smooth the top over the batting. Use the brass safety pins to secure the three layers together. Remove the quilt sandwich from the stretcher bars.
Loosen the wing nut on your quilting hoop, and remove the outer hoop. Slide the inner hoop under the quilt sandwich to the centre of the quilt, and lay the outer hoop on the top of the sandwich over the inner hoop and push the two hoops together. Tighten the wing nut and gently adjust the tension of the quilt sandwich in the hoop by pressing in the centre of the hoop to loosen the tension.
Thread one of your needles with an 18-inch length of quilting thread. Make a small knot in the end of the single thread, and commence quilting. Follow the marked lines, working from the interior of the quilt to the outer edges. This will allow any potential fullness to be worked out toward the edges instead of being bound up in the centre.
Tips and warnings
- There are many ways to quilt this and any other design. This is just the traditional and most expeditious method. Any design may be used, but it is important to keep the quilting uniform over the surface and to penetrate all three layers with each stitch.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for