Corner sofas, or sectionals, are common because they can seat more people and design options fit almost any decor. These sofas take up more room, however, and can be difficult to place in some rooms that are small or awkwardly shaped. It's important to know the precise measurements of the sofa if you plan to move, rearrange your furniture, or get a cover for the sofa.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
Measure the height of the sofa, from the floor to the very top of the back of the sofa. Place the edge of the measuring tape on the floor, and look to see what the measurement is at the highest point of the back of the sofa. The height of a sectional sofa is typically the same all the way around. If yours has varying heights, measure the tallest part if you're measuring to determine if it will fit through a doorway.
Determine the seat height by measuring from the floor to the top of the seat cushions. This measurement isn't typically necessary unless you are measuring for a slipcover or for reupholster plans.
Measure from the outer edge of one side of the sofa to the outer edge of the opposite side. Repeat on both sides to get the length and width. If your sectional has an unusual shape, such as U-shaped or S-shaped, measure from the outer edge of each side to the next. You may have more than two measurements, depending on the exact shape of your sofa.
Figure out the width, or depth, of the couch by measuring from the front of the sofa to the back.
Tips and warnings
- Write down each measurement, so you have a precise record and you won't mix up any measurements. Sometimes, being 1/4 of an inch off may mean not being able to get the sofa through a doorway.
- Measure each section of the corner couch individually if you are measuring it to move it, and you want to make sure it will fit on the stairs or through doorways.
- Double and triple check your measurements if they are for a slipcover. Mistakes on these measurements can be costly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for