Seasoning a commercial griddle keeps it slick on the surface so food does not adhere and is easy to manage. Eggs and delicate foods slide on a seasoned griddle so they turn easily and food items do not stick or tear when turning them. It is a good idea to season a new griddle for the best performance of this appliance. Re-seasoning is beneficial if a griddle has not been in use for a period of time or if food starts sticking to it.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Unsalted shortening
- Cotton hand cloth
- Grease absorbing towel
Turn the griddle control to the on position and turn the temperature to 148 degrees C.
Spoon out unsalted shortening and place in a bowl. Wipe a cotton hand cloth across the shortening to pick up a thin layer on the cloth.
Wipe the cloth with the shortening across the griddle. Cover the entire surface of the griddle by working back and forth across the griddle.
Let the shortening stand for about two minutes to heat and soak into the griddle. Apply additional layers in this manner until the surface is slick and the shortening no longer seeps into the griddle.
Turn the griddle to the off position and let it cool. Wipe the surface with a grease-absorbing towel to remove any small grey particles of carbon coating on a new griddle.
Tips and warnings
- Use a metal grill scraper to clean the griddle between uses so that it does not create a build-up of food particles. Apply light force with the metal grill scraper so as not to scratch the surface.
- Spooning the shortening into a bowl will allow the remainder of the shortening in the can to be useful in cooking.
- Cotton cloths do not leave any residue or lint behind. Other types of cloths may leave a fine layer of lint on the griddle that can attach to food when cooking.
- Do not touch hands to the griddle when applying shortening. Make sure to touch only the cloth so as not to risk burning hands or fingers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for