Oakleys have a cult following in the extreme sports arena. Thanks to impressive styling and unmatched durability, it's easy to see why enthusiasts are willing to pay top dollar for Oakley sunglasses. Unfortunately, dishonest retailers sell fake Oakleys for high prices to dupe buyers into thinking they are purchasing the real thing on the cheap. Before you purchase Oakleys from an unauthorised dealer, look for signs of quality and authenticity.
- Skill level:
Examine the lenses of the sunglasses. On authentic sunglasses, the name "Oakley" is screen printed on the lens. Stickers that say "Oakley" indicate the sunglasses are obvious fakes. Look for stickers that say "Genuine Oakley" on them. Oakley never puts stickers of any kind on the lenses of the sunglasses, so if you find one, you have a fake.
Feel along the arms of the sunglasses. The signature "O" design on the sunglasses is raised and bonded into the sunglasses. Some fakes have the "O" printed on, so you won't feel the raised lettering when you run your hand over it. The raised "O" is an almost sure sign that you have real Oakley sunglasses.
Ask for the packaging that originally came with the Oakleys. Real Oakleys come in a microfiber bag with a cardboard box. The nylon bag will have the name Oakley screen printed on the outside, indicating authenticity. Fakes often have plain bags or no packaging at all, with the price tag clipped to the glasses. Those are definite fakes.
Examine the fasteners on the inside of the sunglasses arms. Oakley uses two screws on the inside to connect the arms to the frames. This helps them last longer. Most fakes will only have one screw.
Try the sunglasses on. Real Oakleys usually have the rainbow-tinted lenses on the outside, which make for clearer viewing. Fake Oakleys have cheap lenses that don't make much difference.
Tips and warnings
- There is a reason why Oakleys are high-priced; they are well made. If you find a great deal on Oakley sunglasses under £48, ask to see the dealer's resale license or a receipt from when he purchased them from a reputable Oakley dealer.
- If you come across fake Oakley sunglasses, report them to Oakley using the online form found in the Resources section.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for