Military medals are given to soldiers who excel in different areas or perform valiant acts. These medals are a great source of pride for the recipients and their families. Often, war medals are passed as family heirlooms from generation to generation. Preserve and display these treasured items by framing them inside of a simple shadow box.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Shadow box
- Foam board
- Spray adhesive
Cut a piece of foam board slightly smaller than the back of the shadow box. Leave about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch all the way around to allow space for the fabric to wrap around the edges.
Cut a piece of fabric about two inches larger than the foam board in each direction.
Spray adhesive on the back side of the fabric. Center the foam board on the fabric and wrap the fabric around the edges, securing in place with more glue if needed.
Spray additional adhesive to the back of the fabric-wrapped foam board, then slide the board into the back of the shadow box. Press firmly to secure in place.
Press the pin portion of the medal into the fabric-covered foam board. The pin does not need to be closed; it should stay in place by itself. Assemble the shadow box so the medals are behind the glass.
Framing Military Medals for Display
Tips and warnings
- While any fabric can be used, the medals will look most formal when displayed on velvet or velvet-like material in a dark colour like black or deep purple.
- Heavy fabrics will yield better results.
- Shadow boxes are available in many sizes and styles. They resemble a deep picture frame. Look for a shadow box that is not too deep and has glass across the front.
- Lay the medals in the box before pinning to finalise their placement and spacing.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for