A .kmz file is created and opened using Google Earth. Google Earth is a fancier desktop version of Google's popular maps application, allowing users to view detailed three-dimensional renderings of the Earth, not just flat photography and map data. Google Earth uses .kmz files as zipped placemarks that may also contain the 3-D model of a building at the specified location.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Windows- or Mac OS X-equipped computer
- Google Earth software
- Internet connection
Download and install Google Earth using the link the references section.
Launch Google Earth.
Click the "File" menu and choose "Open."
Locate the .kmz file on your computer. Click on it, and select "Open." The file should appear as a placemark in the places section on the left side of the Google Earth window.
Tips and warnings
- To save your own .kmz file, right-click on a place in the sidebar and choose "Save Place As..."
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for