If your cell phone gets wet, you need to dry it immediately to prevent the moisture from damaging it. Drying the phone is the only way to fix a wet cell phone screen, and it takes more than simply wiping the moisture off. Moisture, whether from rain or the phone being dropped in water, works its way quickly inside to the electronics. Don't make the common mistake of trying to dry your phone with a hair dryer, as that can make matters worse. There's a better way to do it right.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Paper towel
- Can of compressed air
- Dry rice
Immediately open the back of your phone and remove the battery. If your phone uses a SIM card, remove that as well.
Wipe the surface of the phone dry with a paper towel. Make sure you blot inside the battery compartment. Make sure that you wipe but do not blot when drying the phone screen. Pressing on the screen while blotting can cause damage to it.
Use a can of compressed air, like the type sold to clean computer keyboards, to dry any remaining moisture in the phone. Spray the air over the entire phone until you can no longer see any wet areas.
Pour a layer of dry rice into the bottom of a bowl. Lay your cell phone on the rice. Completely cover the phone with more dry rice and leave the phone in the bowl overnight. The rice will draw out and absorb any remaining moisture.
Remove the phone from the rice. Use compressed air to clean the phone of any rice dust. Put the SIM and battery back in and power the phone on. If the phone does not work or the screen is not showing the menus properly, then you did not dry the phone as fast as you needed to and the phone must be replaced.
Tips and warnings
- If you dropped your phone in the ocean, run tap water over the entire phone first and then dry it off. This will prevent the sea salt from remaining inside your phone and causing further damage.
- Never dry a phone using heat (such as a hair dryer or by placing it on top of an oven that has been turned on). Heat can quickly destroy the delicate electronics and circuit board inside the phone.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for