Paint can easily spill on sofa fabric during home improvement and painting projects. There are two different types of paint that are commonly used: latex paint and oil-based paint. Both require varying steps for removal. Latex paints are reduced with water during their production, while oil-based paint contains white spirit as a coalescing agent. Therefore, oil-based paint stains are more difficult to get out than their water-based counterparts.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Liquid detergent
- Spray bottle
- Paint thinner
- Cotton swab
Dab at the paint stain with a white towel if it is still wet. Refrain from making a rubbing movement, or the paint stain will spread to the surrounding fabric.
Spray the area with cool water from a spray bottle. Mix 1 tbsp of liquid detergent with 237 ml (1 cup) of cool water and dab at the stain with a moist towel.
Rinse the soapy detergent off the sofa by spraying the area with water until it runs clear. Press the area with a clean, white towel or paper towels to dry. Place a fan next to the sofa to help dry the wet area.
Apply a small amount of paint thinner to the stain using a cotton swab. Continue to dab at the stain with the swab until the paint begins to lift.
Scrape some of the paint off with a knife or spoon as you are dabbing at the stain. Spray the stained area with warm water from a spray bottle.
Mix 1 tsp of liquid detergent with 237 ml (1 cup) of warm water. Dip a towel in the mixture and dab at the area. Rinse with warm water and press down with a towel to dry.
Tips and warnings
- Use a clear liquid detergent when cleaning fabrics because some detergents with dye can stain clothing.
- Check the label on the sofa for the manufacturer's cleaning instructions and follow any recommended instructions. Avoid using a cleaning product that has not been recommended.
- Test a hard-to-see area of the sofa before using any cleaning product.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for