A homemade margarita machine can add a new dimension to parties, picnics and cookouts. While blenders are effective at making one or two servings of margaritas, this homemade device turns them out at nearly five gallons per batch. The machine requires some basic plumbing skills and some carpentry ability, but when you are done with the project you can reward yourself with a cool drink.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Five gallon water cooler
- New garbage disposal
- PVC pipe and fittings
- 1 by 2 lumber
- Electric switch and wire
Build a wooden box to serve as a pedestal for the margarita machine. This cube can be made of any type of lumber but a plywood covered frame of 1 by 2 inch lumber will work well. The cube should be about 18 inches tall and 15 inches square. Cut a hole in the top of the box to receive the garbage disposal motor.
Cut a hole in the bottom of a water cooler. Match the diameter of the hole to the exact size of the flange at the top of the garbage disposal. Seal the flange with the top fitting by reaching through the water cooler. The two portions of the flange should compress against the water cooler. Add silicone to create a margarita proof seal.
Attach pipes to the margarita machine. Start by attaching a short piece of PVC pipe to the bottom of the garbage disposal. Attach a right angle fitting to this pipe followed by another short section of straight pipe extending through the wood support box to the front of the unit. Place another right angle fitting at that point extending up to the valve and spigot assembly. Attach another piece of PVC pipe from that assembly to a point above the rim of the cooler. Use two right angle fittings and two short pieces of pipe to bring the end of the pipe down into the interior of the cooler.
Wire a switch and outlet plug into the electrical circuit of the garbage disposal. This allows control of the machine by a switch.
Tips and warnings
- While any garbage disposal will work, most people prefer their drinks to be mixed by something that hasn't ground up garbage. Buy a new stainless steel garbage disposal if possible.
- Fill the cooler with ice and add tequila, triple sec and limeade to taste for the margarita. The same device can also be used to make a frozen lemonade without alcohol.
- Run the garbage disposal motor to mix the margarita. Make sure the motor is shut down while dispensing the drinks to prevent high pressure margarita problems.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for