Superglue is the brand name of one of several cyanoacrylate-based glues on the market. These glues bond with many materials and are fast acting. You can use them for a wide range of repairs, including for automotive interior trim. You may need to reattach a plastic piece of door trim. You can do this with this type of glue.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paper towel
- Masking or painters tape
Place the part where it will be attached with glue. This is a rough fit to check for part compatibility as well as to determine where and how the part will fit.
Clean the plastic car door part and the area it will be glued with alcohol. Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol onto a folded paper towel. Wipe the plastic surface where the glue will be applied. This will remove any dirt, grease or vinyl protector that may interfere with the glue bonding.
Open the glue container according to the package directions. Some types are gel and come in a tube, and some are liquid and come in a bottle.
Apply a few drops on the surface of the plastic trim to be attached. Do not over-apply the glue, use only a small drop every 1/4 inch or so.
Place the trim piece in the desired location and hold it firmly for one minute or so to allow the glue to partially cure. The Superglue should be ready for use within five minutes. Consider securing the trim piece in place with masking or painters tape while it continues to cure. A full cure usually takes 24 hours.
Tips and warnings
- Be aware that any repair using this type of glue will be permanent. You will not be able to detach the glued piece, so if you are attaching a door panel to a door frame, you will not be able to remove it without damaging it (if you need to for window repair, for instance).
- Always follow the safety precautions outlined on the glue container. This type of glue will instantly bond skin--use gloves.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for