If you're using a Sony laptop, you're not limited to the display connected to your PC. Most laptop computers allow you to connect to an external monitor or LCD TV, and Sony laptops are no different. Getting your Sony laptop to display on your TV is a simple process that won't cost you more than the cables to connect your computer to the display itself. Altogether, it won't take more than 10 minutes of your time.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- VGA cables/S-video cables/DVI cables/HDMI cables
Determine the type of cables you need to connect your Sony laptop to your TV. First see what inputs are available on your TV (VGA, HDMI, DVI, S-video), and check if your laptop has any matching outputs. A VGA output, for instance, connects to the VGA input on your TV. Adaptors are available if your PC doesn't have a matching output for your TV.
Connect your laptop to your TV using the appropriate cable.
Power on your TV and your laptop.
Set your TV's input channel to match the connection to your PC. There is a button on your TV to do this (typically called "Source" or "Input").
Click the Start button on the taskbar and open the Control Panel. Then click "Appearance" and "Personalization" and select "Display." On Windows 7, click "Change Display Settings" after selecting Display.
Click the "Detect" or "Identify" monitors button. Then select how you want your laptop to display on the secondary monitor by adjusting the settings in the Multiple Displays drop-down box.
Click "Apply" to confirm the changes, and then click "OK." Your laptop display will now display on your TV according to the settings you chose (extended desktop, duplicate display or display only on the external monitor).
Tips and warnings
- Click the icon for your TV and adjust the resolution to match that of your TV for the best picture quality. The resolution of your set can be found your TV's user manual.
- Quickly change displays in Windows 7 by pressing the Windows Key+P to bring up a mini display menu.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for