Dried orange peel makes a great addition to many dishes. People often use the peel in desserts, baked dishes and teas to add a natural citrus flavour. Drying orange peels does not require much effort, but you will need to ensure that you remove the pith, or the white membrane found on the inside of the peel, because it contains water that will prolong the drying time. Once the peels dry, store them in an airtight container and you can transform the orange peel into a fine powder for making memorable baked desserts.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paper towels
- Butter knife
- Cutting board
- Non-stick baking tray
- Airtight container
- Sharp paring knife (optional)
Rinse the outside of the orange to remove dirt and debris. Dry the orange with a paper towel.
Peel the skin from the orange. Use a sharp paring knife to trim off the top and bottom of the peel, and then remove the rest of the peel using your fingers.
Remove excess pith with a butter knife by scraping off as much as possible with the knife blade. This will speed up the drying process.
Cut the orange peel into ½-inch strips using scissors. Lay the strips with the skin side facing down on a cutting board. Allow them to air dry for four to five days, or until they no longer contain moisture. You can also dry the orange peels by placing them on a non-stick baking tray and placing them in the oven at 65.6 degrees Celsius. Leave the orange peels in the oven until no moisture is left behind, which will usually take about four hours.
Store the dried orange peels in a sealed container, and keep the container in a cool and dark environment.
Tips and warnings
- Place the orange peels in a blender to create a powder.
- Add orange powder to desserts such as cranberry orange cake, chocolate bark and orange tart. The powder or dried orange peels also make a great addition to baked chicken, lamb and shrimp dishes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for