How to transfer auto insurance to a new car

Written by sommer dowdell
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

You might be unsure of how to transfer a new car to your auto insurance policy. You might also wonder how to remove your old car from the policy. Accomplishing these tasks can be as simple as a phone or online transaction.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Things you need

  • Insurance company's phone number or Web address
  • New car's vehicle identification number
  • New car's make, model and year
  • Name of the lien holder

Show MoreHide


    By Phone

  1. 1

    Call your insurance company and tell it you plan to add this vehicle to your policy. If you have sold or traded in your old car, ask that it be removed from the policy.

  2. 2

    Give your insurer the new car's vehicle identification number, or VIN, along with its make, model and year.

  3. 3

    If the new car is being financed under a new lien holder, give your insurer the lien holder's name and contact information.

  4. 4

    Check your mail for a copy of your insurance card. Once you get it, keep a copy in your vehicle/wallet at all times.


  1. 1

    Go to your insurance company's website.

  2. 2

    Log on to your account.

  3. 3

    Go to the link that would enable you to "add a car" or "add a driver" or "update your policy."

  4. 4

    Enter the requested information about your new car in the appropriate fields or drop-down boxes. Examples of information asked would be your new car's VIN, make, model, and year, and lien holder information.

  5. 5

    Remove your old car from your policy if you have sold that car or traded it in. This can usually be done by "deleting" the car from your online policy or having the primary policyholder do it under their user name. This applies if you are not the primary policyholder.

  6. 6

    Print off a copy of your confirmation sheet and a copy of your temporary auto insurance card, and await the arrival of your permanent card--and other important policy-related documents--by mail.

Tips and warnings

  • If your vehicle is being financed, the company you pay your biweekly or monthly car notes to is the lien holder.
  • Because most car dealerships require you to provide proof of auto insurance before you leave the lot, make sure to select an auto insurance company before you get there.
  • Comprehensive and collision insurance coverages are usually required on new cars.
  • Be prepared to call the insurance company once your car purchase/lease is confirmed. If you have your laptop or Web-enabled phone with you, you can do this online from the dealership.
  • Your insurer will send proof-of-insurance updates to the lien holder, either automatically or upon request from your or the lien holder.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.