The clear glass covers of your outdoor lights can seem boring -- not to mention dirty from all the rain, snow, dust and dirt. However, there is a easy solution that can give a new and exciting look to your old outdoor lights. Glass spray paints are easy to use and cost only a fraction of the price of new lights. You do not have to be an artist or a painting expert to give a new frosted look to the glass covers of your outdoor lights and brighten the appearance of your home.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Cleaning detergent, water and a sponge
- Frosted glass finish -spray paint, pearl or white
- Indoor/outdoor primer -spray paint, white
- Painting mask and clothes
- Fine-grain sandpaper
Unattach the glass covers from your outdoor lights and wash them with detergent and water. Dry with a towel.
Prepare the glass surface for painting by lightly sanding with a fine-grain sandpaper. This allows the paint to adhere better to the glass. Wipe clean with a cloth.
Place the covers on a large fabric or plastic to protect the ground or furniture you are painting on. Apply the primer with slow horizontal motions, 20 inches away from the covers. Let dry for an hour before touching. Let dry for two to 24 hours before applying the frosted glass finish -paint. The glass will not be clear anymore after you apply the primer; this is normal.
Apply the frosted glass finish paint by spraying the covers from 20 inches away. Use a slow horizontal motion to apply the paint over the entire surface of the covers. Let the covers dry for 15 minutes and, if desired, apply another layer. Let dry for at least thee hours, or overnight.
Reattach the covers on the outdoor lights.
Tips and warnings
- Apply spray paint in a well ventilated area, like outside, on a balcony, or in a garage.
- Wear a mask. Do not breathe the paint vapours. Spray paints often are non-toxic once they dry out. However, the vapours are toxic and should be avoided. Protect your clothes from paint by wearing a plastic cover.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for