Upgrading your Windows Mobile 5 device to Windows Mobile 6 ensures that you have access to the latest software available for the mobile platform. However, despite the importance to upgrade, not all Windows Mobile 5 devices support Windows Mobile 6, nor do all carriers have an approved upgrade to the operating system. However, if your hardware manufacturer and cell phone carrier have a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade available, and you feel comfortable replacing all of the data on your phone with Windows Mobile 6, you can update the operating system on your own.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Windows Mobile 5 smartphone
- Windows Mobile 6 upgrade (supported by hardware manufacturer or carrier)
Download the Windows Mobile 6 installer from your cell phone carrier's website. Contact the carrier's customer service department for access to the upgrade if you cannot find it on your own.
Download and set up ActiveSync 4.5. Without the upgrade, you will not be equipped to synchronise your smartphone after installing Windows Mobile 6. ActiveSync 4.5 may be downloaded directly from Microsoft, and the link is provided below under Resources.
Perform a complete backup of any files stored on your smartphone that you want to preserve, as all information is deleted in the course of the update to Windows Mobile 6.
Connect the cell phone to a computer via USB cable.
Verify the smartphone battery is fully charged before starting the update process.
Click on "Next" to advance through the installation software until you see an Update button on the screen.
Click "Update" to begin the Windows Mobile 5 to 6 upgrade on your phone. You must click "Next" one last time to ensure you would like to continue with the Windows Mobile update.
Wait for the mobile phone to restart, at which time you will see the Windows Mobile 6 welcome screen. Configure the smartphone as if it is a brand new phone and key in all of the account and e-mail settings necessary when prompted on the screen. After finishing the basic Windows Mobile 6 set-up, the phone loads any manufacturer- or carrier-specific configuration screens included in the Windows Mobile 6 installation file.
Tips and warnings
- Windows Mobile 6 requires more space than Windows Mobile 5. Although the total amount of space necessary varies based on your device manufacturer and the number of carrier-specific documents and applications included in the file, Windows Mobile 6 will leave you with less space to install additional software.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for