Alloy wheels are fancy, sporty wheels that are generally an option at most car dealerships. These aluminium wheels have replaced the less expensive steel wheels as the wheel of choice for many who are concerned about the appearance and attractiveness of their cars or trucks. Alloy wheels can become scratched from regular on-road and off-road driving. Weather conditions, animals and foliage can all be blamed for scratches to alloy wheels. You can remove the scratches with metal polish.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) washing up liquid
- Warm water
- Metal polish
- 2 terry cloth towels
- Rubber gloves (optional)
Mix 60 ml (1/4 cup) of the washing up liquid with warm water in the bucket. Dip the sponge into the bucket and clean the alloy wheel. Scrub vigorously around the scratches to try to remove all dirt and debris from them.
Dry the alloy wheel with the towel. Make sure the scratches are completely dry.
Shake the can of metal polish well and apply a small amount to a clean, soft terry cloth towel by pouring a little on the towel.
Rub the metal polish into the scratch in a circular motion, polishing the scratches with the metal polish in areas of about 15 cm (6 inches) at a time. Be sure to spread the polish the complete length of the scratch.
Rub the metal polish into each scratch by continuing to spread it along each scratch in a circular motion until the metal polish turns black.
Remove all metal polish residue using a clean terry cloth towel.
Repeat this process for the scratches on your other alloy wheels.
Tips and warnings
- Put on a pair of rubber gloves when working with the metal polish if your skin is sensitive.
- You can probably remove all scratches from your alloy wheels using 28 g (1 oz) or less of metal polish.
- You can purchase metal polish from car or motorcycle suppliers, hardware shops or home improvement centres.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for