Leather sofas are beautiful and elegant, yet they are prone to scratches and tears. Even a small tear can ruin the look of your entire sofa, and can eventually lead to larger, irreparable tears. Liquid leather repair kits are an inexpensive, easy way to fix small tears in your leather sofa. Leather furniture is often a big investment, so it's important to maintain that investment and keep it looking as amazing as possible. With proper care and repair, leather can last a very long time.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Liquid leather repair kit
- Grain paper
- Heat applicator
Buy a liquid leather repair kit, which can be found at most home improvement and retail stores. Patches are also available, but the liquid gives the best appearance and is easier to use.
Determine which shade of adhesive matches your leather sofa. Most liquid leather repair kits come with a wide variety of coloured adhesives, so you should be able to find a match. However, some mixing may be needed to get the perfect shade, as it's important for the colours to match exactly. Mismatched colours will call more attention to the tear, thus wasting your efforts to repair your sofa.
Apply a thin layer of adhesive evenly with a toothpick. Spread out any clumps of adhesive, as the mixture needs to be uniform and cover the entire length of the tear.
Match the grain paper included with the repair kit to the texture and look of your sofa. Apply light pressure to the grain paper, pressing it gently into the adhesive.
Bond the grain paper to the adhesive, using the heat applicator that's included in the repair kit. Press the heat applicator against the grain paper and rub lightly for approximately four minutes, then gently pull back on the paper. Some kits don't require heat, but the bond isn't as strong.
Tips and warnings
- Allow the adhesive to cool and dry completely before sitting on the sofa. If the adhesive doesn't dry properly, the tear could open back up.
- Repair any tears in your sofa promptly. Tears in leather spread quickly, so you may need to get the job done by a professional if you wait too long, which can be costly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for