Tie rods on your Buick LeSabre transmit the steering motion from the steering rack to the wheels. They should be replaced when you feel looseness in the steering wheel. If you feel that any part of the steering system isn't working as it should, then stop driving the vehicle, inspect it and replace what is needed. Fortunately, replacing the tie rod ends on your Buick LeSabre is simple, cheap and quick.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Safety glasses
- Jack stands
- Lug nut wrench
- Needle-nose pliers
- Tie rod separator
- Tie rod puller
- New tie rods
Jack the Buick LeSabre up and place it securely on jack stands.
Remove the wheels with a lug nut wrench. The lug nut wrench can be found in the boot of your LeSabre.
Remove the cottar pin from the tie rod end with needle-nose pliers.
Remove the nut from the tie rod end with a ratchet.
Pull the tie rod off of the steering knuckle with a tie rod separator. Simply place the tie rod separator between the tie rod and the steering knuckle and hammer the end of the tie rod puller until the tie rod pops out.
Use White-out to mark where the tie rod end meets the inner tie rod. Doing this will indicate how far to thread in the new tie rod and will ensure that the alignment won't be too far off.
Loosen the old tie rod with a 19mm wrench and unscrew the tie rod from the inner tie rod.
Thread in the new tie rod up to the white mark that you made in Step 6. Tighten the nut with a wrench.
Place the tie rod through the steering knuckle, tighten the nut, place the cottar pin through it and secure it.
Replace the wheels and lower the LeSabre. Take the car to a professional for alignment. An alignment will ensure that your tires don't wear prematurely.
Tips and warnings
- Removing the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod may be difficult because the nut may be rusted. To free the nut, use either an oxyacetylene torch or MAPP gas that you can purchase from your local hardware store to heat the nut, then remove it.
- Wear safety glasses when working on your LeSabre.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for