Sony Vaio manufactures a line of top-quality laptops. However, no matter how good a laptop is, there may come a time when it begins having some difficulties that are best remedied by restoring the laptop to its factory settings. Such difficulties can be a result of a computer virus or program error, or perhaps you received it used and simply want to wipe it clean the easy way. The restoration of your Sony laptop can be performed using a system restore CD, or the restore program that is built-in on the computer, depending upon which model of Sony you own.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sony system recovery CD that came with laptop
Put the Sony System Recovery CD into the CD drive and then turn off your computer. Wait at least 30 seconds before restarting.
Restart the computer and a "Vaio System Recovery Utility" window comes up. Click "Next."
Click "Yes" to confirm that you want to begin the system restore. Follow the instructions that you will be given in the window.
Restore to Factory Settings From Recovery CD
Close out all programs and open browser windows.
Click on "Start" on your computer's desktop.
Click on "Help and Support" when the Start menu opens up.
Select "Vaio Recovery Wizard" from the Help and Support menu. Confirm that you want to set the laptop back to factory settings and click "Next." The Sony laptop will begin the restoration process, which can take an hour or more.
Click "OK" when you finally receive a window that tells you the recovery process has been successfully completed.
Restore to Factory Settings From Laptop
Tips and warnings
- Copy all programs, photos, music files and documents that you wish to save on your computer to a CD. Restoring your Sony to factory settings will delete everything on the laptop.
- Do not interfere with the computer while it is going through its restoration process. It will shut off and restart several times; this is normal. Interrupting during the restoration can result in files being damaged and improperly installed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for