Dupli-Color produces a full line of products for the repair and maintenance of cars and trucks, including a variety of paints for bodies, wheels and even engines. Dupli-Color paint can be applied in spray form and can transform your vehicle with just a few coats. Whether you are completely changing the colour of your car, or just applying some touch ups to a faded or damaged area, proper use of Dupli-Color products can be key in getting a good result.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Clean cloth
- Dust sheets
- Dupli-Color spray primer
- Dupli-Color spray paint
Park the car in a shady, cool area. Dupli-Color's website suggests that the ideal temperature for painting is between 12.8 and 23.9 degrees Celsius.
Wipe the car down with a damp cloth to remove any dirt, debris, oil or other contaminants from the car's surface. Allow the car to dry completely before continuing.
Sand the car's surface lightly with fine grit sandpaper. This will help remove any remaining dirt as well as make the car's finish more accepting of the paint. Wipe the surface down again with the damp cloth to remove any dust created by sanding. Allow the car to dry completely before continuing.
Cover any area of the car you do not wish to paint with dust sheets to protect them from overspray.
Apply a coat of Dupli-Color primer to the car. Hold the can at least 8 inches from the surface of the car and move in smooth, sweeping motions. If possible, begin and end each pass of paint beyond the area you intend to paint to ensure smooth edges. Follow drying time instructions for the primer before applying the paint.
Apply Dupli-Color paint to the car with the same techniques as in Step 5. Generally, you will need at least three coats; follow the drying instructions to determine how long to wait between coats. If you desire a darker colour, use more coats. Allow the paint to dry completely before driving the car.
Tips and warnings
- If the car is particularly dirty, add dish washing detergent to your damp cloth to thoroughly clean the surface. You can also clean the car with a scrub brush to remove any really stubborn stains.
- Each Dupli-Color product will have instructions on the packaging for proper recoating and drying times. Follow these instructions based on your product to make sure you allow appropriate drying time.
- Always use aerosol paint products outdoors or in an area with good ventilation to avoid breathing in toxic fumes.
- Be careful not to use coarse sandpaper or to press too hard with the sandpaper, or you risk damaging the car's finish.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for