Parquet wood floor can be beautiful and last for many years if properly cared for, but after a decade of use a parquet wood floor will probably need to be refinished. The main challenge with parquet wood flooring is that the direction of the grain of the individual tiles run in different directions. This causes the tiles to have sanding marks in the tiles if not done properly. Proper sanding is the key to a good finish. The use of a simple new type of sander, a random orbit sander, nearly eliminates the challenge of grain direction.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Random orbit sander
- Medium grit sand paper, 120 Grit
- Fine grit sand paper, 220 Grit
- Very fine grit sand paper, 300-Plus Grit
- Hand sanding blocks and scrappers.
- Rotary floor polisher
- Nylon pad and screen for floor polisher
Using a medium grit sand paper on the random orbiting sander, start at the outside edges of the room and sand toward the centre of the room at approximately a 15-degree angle to the centre line of the room until the entire floor has been sanded.
Using the fine grit sand paper on the random orbit sander, rotate your sanding direction by 90 degrees and sand from the outside edge toward the centre of the room at 15 degrees to the centre line of the room.
Using the very fine grit sand paper on the random orbit sander, sand the entire floor parallel to the walls moving from the outside edge to the centre of the room. Repeat this in both directions along the entire floor surface.
Using a rotary floor polisher with a nylon pad and fine polishing screen attached, polish the entire floor surface by letting the polisher float across the floor from side to side in random patterns. Repeat this until the entire floor has been polished.
Using hand sanding blocks, finish any areas near the edges of the room that the drum sander and polisher could not reach by following the same sequence of sand paper grit progression.
Tips and warnings
- Use knee pads
- This is a back-breaking job that requires a lot of bending and kneeling, so take frequent breaks to hydrate and stretch. Use a proper dust mask that is rated for fine dust particles.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for