If you are wanting to use your Xbox 360 wireless controller on your PC, you may find yourself in a bit of a bind. The USB-powered Play and Charge kit that Microsoft sells does not truly connect your controller to your PC, and in order to use your wireless controller (and wireless receiver) you will have to download and install the Wireless Receiver Drivers. This is a quick, simple process that only takes a few minutes out of your day.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Download the Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Driver if you do not yet have it on your computer (see Resources).
Double-click the "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Driver" icon on your desktop (or wherever you downloaded the files). Depending on what your operating system is, it may appear as a green X or as a computer. Once you double-click, a small set-up window will appear.
Click the small check box signifying that you agree to the terms and conditions of the download. You cannot proceed with the download until you do, so there isn't much of a choice in the matter either way. Once you agree to the terms and conditions, click "Next" to begin the installation.
Allow several minutes for the software to install onto your computer. Once it has completed installation, click "Finish" to end the installation process.
Installing Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Drivers
Tips and warnings
- Close out of any other programs when installing the drivers to speed up the installation time.
- Do not power down or reset your computer until after the installation has completed. Doing so can result in a loss of data and corruption of your operating system, forcing a complete reinstall.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for