Jump-starting the battery on your Honda Shadow is a little more work than jump-starting a car. Everything in a motorcycle is compact and hidden for cosmetic purposes. The battery is buried under the seat and bolted down to a pan where the positive and negative cables are carefully attached to the top of the battery. The seat is merely bolted on top of the battery assembly.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Jump leads
- Running vehicle
- Socket wrench
Take the seat off the motorcycle. The seat is held on by two bolts on either side of the motorcycle. Remove them with the socket wrench.
Locate the battery just below where the seat is sitting. Identify the positive and negative terminals. The positive is identified by the "+" symbol. The negative is identified by the "-" symbol.
Position the red clamp on the positive terminal of the battery. Position the black clamp on the negative terminal.
Clamp the jump lead ends to a working vehicle. Red on positive and black on negative.
Start the working vehicle first. Ensure it is idling smoothly before you start the motorcycle.
Start the motorcycle. If the Honda does not start right away then allow the working car to idle for a few minutes to build the motorcycle battery up.
Remove the jump leads on both ends but do not allow any of the cable ends to touch. Let the motorcycle idle for a few minutes to build the battery.
Bolt the seat back on to the motorcycle. Ensure the bolts are tight.
Turn off the other vehicle and close the bonnet.
Tips and warnings
- Make sure the car is off until the cables are attached to it.
- Use extreme caution when working around jump leads. Any misuse can result in electrocution. Do not touch the jump leads together and do not cross the circuits. If one cable is on positive on one battery and negative on the other, this could result in damage to you or the vehicle.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for