With a little preparation you can transform a bare meadow into a wild flower garden. There are a variety of plants that can be grown from seed to naturalise a large area. Consider your climate when choosing the type of wild flower seeds to plant. Purchase a mix of wild flower seed from your local garden centre or nursery that is specifically formulated for your growing area. Plant your wild flower site in spring, summer, or fall.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wild flower seeds
- Commercial seeder (optional)
- Lawn roller
Clear the planting area of all existing vegetation. If you are planting a large area, use a rototiller. Or, you can clear the ground with a shovel if the area is not very large. Tilling the area allows the wild flower seeds to make good contact with the soil.
Choose a commercially prepared medium that contains the wild flower seeds that you would like to plant.
Sow the wild flower seeds either by hand or with a commercial seeder. If you are working with a larger area, it will be more feasible to use a commercial seeder. Be sure to check the seed packaging for the coverage rate so that you will know how much seed to use.
Compress the seed into the soil by going over the site with a lawn roller.
Water the wild flower site to keep the seeds moist until they germinate. Some will germinate in a few days and it may take others several months to germinate. If rainfall is not adequate in your area to keep the seeds moistened, then you will need to water them until established. This usually means about four to six weeks.
Tips and warnings
- Another way to sow wild flower seeds is to separate the seeds into two parts. Take 1/2 of the seed and add 10 parts light sand to it. Put this in a container, such as an old coffee can, and mix well. Hand sow the seed this way all over the site and then mix the second half of the seed with more sand and sow it too, right over the area where the other half was sowed. This prevents bare spots in the land.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for