Before you can determine the value of any plot of land, you must first know how large the plot is. This means that being able to calculate a plot's size is an essential skill for anyone looking to buy or sell real estate. However, land lots come in all shapes, which means that the standard method for calculating their size might be slightly different than you expect. The easiest way to perform this calculation is with the use of an online calculator.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Tape measure
Click on the "land calculator" found in the resources section of this article. A web page should appear.
Study the parallelogram located on the left side of the screen on the web page. There should be 4 distinct points marked on the parallelogram. These 4 points are labelled A, B, C and D. Also notice that there are 5 lines connecting these four points, 1 for each side of the parallelogram and an additional line that runs from point B to point C.
Measure the plot of land. You should gather five separate measurements corresponding to the five separate lines found on the web page's parallelogram. Take the meaurements in whatever units you want (feet, yards, meters), as long as you remain consistent.
Enter the five measurements into the appropriate text fields found in the land calculator.
Click "calculate now." The size of your land lot should be automatically displayed. The answer will be given in the same units that you used for your measurements. For example, if you took your land measurements in feet, the answer provided will refer to the land's total number of square feet.
Tips and warnings
- If the plot of land is exceptionally large, its size may best be expressed in acres. To convert square feet to acres, divide the number of square feet by 43,560. To convert the number of meters to acres, divide the number of square meters by 4,047.
- This method only works for plots of land that are regularly shaped. If the land lot you are trying to measure is not a quadrilateral, this method does not work.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for