The "emergency stop" key on a Precor treadmill is an essential safety device that stops the treadmill when removed. Typically, these keys are magnets encased in plastic that are tethered to a clip that the user attaches to her clothing when using the treadmill. If the user falls, the safety key is disconnected and the treadmill stops. As the only detachable part of a treadmill, this key is often lost. Precor typically stocks replacements for newer units and will ship a new key for a nominal fee. You can order a new one, or create one on your own.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Hole punch
- String 24 to 36 inches in length
- Safety pin or clip
Find a refrigerator magnet and punch a hole in it; the thicker the magnet, the better.
Tie a 24- to 36-inch string to the magnet.
Tie a clip or safety pin to the opposite end of the string.
Place the magnet over the key hole and attach the safety pin to your clothing.
Use the treadmill as normal.
Tips and warnings
- Always try to find a proper key for your treadmill prior to building one on your own, as a homemade one will void any warranty.
- Make sure the custom-built magnet fits properly into the key slot.
- Using a treadmill without an emergency stop key can lead to serious injury.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for