The litany of chemicals listed on a box of commercial hair dye might convince you to consider natural alternatives. There are a number of herbs you can use to naturally colour grey hair. In addition to naturally colouring your hair, you can be assured that the herbal formulas you use will not introduce more chemicals into your environment.
- Skill level:
Things you need
Collect a lock of hair from a haircut to use as a test lock. Perform the colouring on the test strip as you would your whole head of hair to see the results beforehand.
Choose the shade of colour that you would like your hair to be. There are different natural herbs that will produce different shades.
Use a half cup of Chamomile, or any other yellow blossomed flower steeped in a quart of boiling water for 30 minutes to produce blonde results. The flowers are removed and the mixture is cooled and then combed through shampooed hair and left on for 15 minutes before rinsing with clear water. This shade will gently blend greys.
Effectively cover grey hair with a dark brown or black colour by making a rinse from sage. Boil a handful of dried sage in a quart of water for 30 minutes; then leave it to cool. Apply the rinse and comb through shampooed hair; leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse with cool water. Repeat this process once each week until you achieve the desired shade. You can also use alder bark in place of sage.
Prepare a strong tea of sage and rosemary, cool and refrigerate. This solution can be sprayed on grey patches to colour and blend in.
Tips and warnings
- Use walnut hulls that have been crushed, boiled and left to soak for several days to produce a very dark brown shade.
- Lemon juice is a natural lightener that can be applied to the hair to lighten it and blend in with the greys.
- Rhubarb root that has been chopped, boiled, strained and then cooled can be run through the hair to produce honey gold tones on light brown hair.
- Because henna is such a strong herb, it should not be used by those with white, grey or light blonde hair.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for