Laminated flooring is a durable plastic surface that looks like wood. Like other flooring materials, laminate is susceptible to smudges, streaks and grime, which inevitably take their toll. Regularly polishing of laminate floors restores their original shine. Fortunately, pricey commercial products are not required. Simple, inexpensive homemade solutions can do the job.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dry dust mop
- Rubbing alcohol
- White vinegar
- Microfibre cloths
Sweep the floor with a broom to remove all dirt and debris. Then dust mop the floor.
Create a homemade cleaner-polish by pouring equal parts water, rubbing alcohol and white vinegar in a clean bucket. Mix the solution well.
Fill a second clean bucket with warm water.
Dip a clean microfibre cloth into the homemade solution. Wring out the cloth. Rub the cloth in a circular motion over a 60 by 60 cm (2 by 2 feet) section of the floor.
Dip a second microfibre cloth in the warm water. Wring out the cloth. Wipe the cloth over the section to rinse away the homemade solution.
Wipe the same section of the floor with a clean terrycloth towel until it is thoroughly dry.
Throw away the cleaning solution and clear water as they become dirty. Replace with new batches of cleaning solution and more clean water.
Rinse both microfibre cloths in the warm water to remove grime. Wring out the cloths.
Continue polishing the remaining sections of the floor. Always rinse the cloths before proceeding to the next section.
Rub a clean terrycloth towel in a circular motion over the entire floor for a final polish.
Tips and warnings
- You can substitute a vacuum cleaner without a beater bar for the broom.
- Excessive moisture can make laminate planks expand. Avoid using overly saturated cloths.
- Make sure the laminate floor manufacturer approves of any polishing product you use to prevent voiding the floor's warranty.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for