Dental crowns are either permanent or temporary solutions for a tooth that has decayed, is weak or is distorted in shape. Crowns cover the entire tooth and are cemented in place at the gum line. A crown can last from five to eight years, depending on proper dental hygiene. You should care for your dental crown properly to avoid unnecessary damage to the tooth and a trip to the dentist.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Soft-bristle toothbrush
- Fluoride mouth rinse
- Dental floss
Brush the dental crown using a soft-bristle toothbrush, to reduce irritation to the gum line. Brush gently around the dental crown; don't press the bristles of the toothbrush hard against the gum surrounding the crown. Brush your teeth after every meal to avoid build-up of food particles that can seep inside the crown and create a bacterial infection.
Gargle with a fluoride mouth rinse. Swish the rinse inside the mouth for approximately one minute, spit it out and rinse the mouth with cold water three times. Gargling with a fluoride mouth rinse helps dislodge food particles from the crown, remaining teeth and gum to reduce bacteria growth and infection. Use fluoride mouth rinse after brushing after every meal.
Floss the crown at its base by placing the dental floss on one side of the crown and gently pulling the floss to the other side of the crown. Don't use a sawing motion, running the floss through the teeth with a side-to-side motion. A dental crown can be dislocated by putting excess pressure on the crown or around its surrounding gum. Floss the teeth twice daily, morning and night.
Cleaning Your Dental Crown
Tips and warnings
- Try to avoid chewy or sticky foods, because they can dislodge the crown. If you do eat these foods, brush the teeth immediately afterward, using the method above.
- Do not swallow fluoride mouth rinse. Large amounts of fluoride are toxic and can be fatal. Keep all fluoride products out of reach from children. If you experience any pain while brushing, flossing or gargling, consult your dentist.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for