Dry skin is caused by a loss of water in the upper layers of the skin, according to WebMD. If your dry, flaky skin has become an eyesore to you, try something new. Make your own skin cream with glycerine. Glycerine is a humectant, meaning it draws water into the outer layer of the skin.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/4 cup of beeswax
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp baby oil
- 1/3 cup of glycerine
- Double boiler
- Container or bottle
Measure the coconut oil and the beeswax. Place the proper amount into a double boiler.
Melt the coconut oil and the beeswax. Coconut oil can reduce skin dryness and improve hydration. Keep the heat on medium and continue stirring until the ingredients melt together.
Add the glycerine and the baby oil to the mixture. Continue stirring until everything is melted and evenly distributed.
Pour the melted mixture into a clean container or bottle. The mixture will harden as it cools. You will have about 1 cup.
Apply the mixture to dry skin areas. You can use this as often as necessary.
Tips and warnings
- According to the American Academy of Dermatology, people with sensitive skin, atopic dermatitis or eczema shouldn't use glycerine because it can possibly contribute to drier skin. It may also cause allergic reactions for people with these conditions.
- Wait until mixture is cool before applying to skin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- WebMD: Glycerin Top
- Ageing Skin Net: Dermatologists' Top 10 Tips for Relieving Dry Skin
- Skincare-News.com: Glycerin: A Go-To Ingredient for Skin and Hair
- Skin Care Recipes and Remedies: Skin Care Recipes -- Hand Cream Recipes that Moisturize and Nourish the Skin
- Healthy Oil Planet: Using Virgin Coconut Oil on Dry Skin