Yoga props can help relax the body in specific yoga postures. Yoga bolsters are a yoga prop used aid relaxation in supine postures and forward bends. Bolsters can help ease the body into more difficult postures and allow the body to release tension. They are made of a thick fabric in either a rectangular or circular shape and can be filled with cotton or foam. Making your own yoga bolster is a fun and money-saving project that can be completed in under an hour with minimal supplies.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Thick fabric such as canvas, fleece or nylon cut 12 inches x 16 inches
- Nylon cord or shoestring (20 to 25 inches)
- Polyester thread
- Foam or cotton for stuffing pillows
- Optional: Sewing machine
Using a straight stitch with either a sewing machine or a needle and thread, sew a 1/4-inch fold on both sides of the thick fabric. The fold will now be the inside of the fabric.
At the top of the fabric, fold down a 1/2-inch sleeve and sew with a straight stitch. This will be the sleeve for the cord.
Fold the fabric in half from the middle, bringing the left side of the fabric over to meet the right (instead of bringing top to meet the bottom).
Using a straight stitch, sew all around the edges, except for the right top corner where the opening to the cord sleeve is.
Run the nylon cord or shoestring through the cord sleeve until the cord is visible at both ends. Turn the fabric inside out and fill with cotton or thick foam. Pull on both sides of the cord to close the top of the bolster and knot together.
Tips and warnings
- To make a larger bolster, double or triple the material measurements.
- For an extra treat, you can fill the bolster with dried herbs and flowers or scent with 6-10 drops of essential oils.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for