Why spend money on expensive protein bars? You can make your own low-sugar, high-protein muesli bars with ingredients you likely have at home already. Prepare a batch of these, cut into individual servings and tightly wrap each into cling film for your own grab and go breakfast or energy booster. Feel free to adapt this recipe, which replaces sugar with unsweetened apple sauce and sugar-laden dried fruit with nuts. Protein powder and egg whites increase the amount of low-fat protein in this recipe for rebounding after a workout.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 122 g (1/2 cup) apple sauce
- 61 g (1/4 cup) peanut butter, no sugar added
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 55 g (1/2 cup) protein powder, no sugar added
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 255 g (3 cups) old fashioned oats
- 255 g (1 1/2 cups) mixed roasted nuts and seeds (e.g., sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews)
Preheat the oven to 177 degrees Celsius (350 degrees F), and spray the inside of the baking pan with cooking spray.
Whisk together the egg whites, peanut butter and apple sauce.
Add the pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, salt, baking soda and protein powder. Whisk to combine.
Switch to a spoon and fold in the old fashioned oatmeal and nuts until the nuts and oats are evenly coated with the wet ingredients.
Turn the bowl upside down over a 22.5 x 35 cm (9 x 14 inch) baking pan to deposit the mixture into the pan. Use the spoon to press the granola mixture into an even layer.
Bake at 177 degrees Celsius (350 degrees F) for 20 minutes. Let the bars cool completely in the pan.
Turn the pan upside down to turn the bar out onto a cutting board. Cut into 21 5 x 7.5 cm (2 x 3 inch) bars, wrapping each individual bar in cling film. Store in the freezer for up to one month. Let the bars thaw for 30 minutes before eating.
Tips and warnings
- Use soy powder if you cannot find protein powder.
- Check the labels on the apple sauce, peanut butter and protein powder to ensure that they have no added sugar.
- Adding dried fruits to this increases the amount of sugar in the recipe.
- Substitute 61 g (1/4 cup) of your favourite variety of nut butter for the peanut butter if desired.