Candles have come a long way from their utilitarian origins. The evolution of candle materials has also varied greatly. According to Candle Comfort, "Colonial women offered America's first contribution to candle making when they discovered that boiling the greyish green berries of bayberry bushes produced a sweet-smelling wax that burnt clean." From berries to tallow, to soy products, candles have both illuminated and fragranced our world for centuries. Candle making is a hobby in the modern world. Creating a tea light holder from a recycled wine bottle is a "green" project adding a whimsical touch of romance to an environment.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wine bottle
- Cork wine bottle stopper
- Small screw
- Drill with bit for screw used, or electric screwdriver
- Baby food jar metal lid
- Tealight candle
- Paint to match wine bottle glass colour or gold or silver
- Glue gun and glue sticks
Wash and dry the wine bottle and jar lid.
Position the cork wine bottle stopper beneath the metal baby food lid jar.
Using the drill or electric screwdriver, attach the screw through the top of the metal baby food jar lid into the top centre of the cork wine bottle stopper underneath.
Paint the baby food jar lid to match the colour of the wine bottle glass. If the bottle glass is clear, paint the lid gold or silver. Allow the painted lid to dry.
Place the wine bottle cork with lid attached into the wine bottle opening.
Use the glue gun to squirt a little glue into any crevices that are causing the lid to wobble, if any.
Drip a few drops of candle wax onto the centre of the lid and press the tealight candle onto the wet wax. Allow to cool.
Light the tealight candle and place the wine bottle candleholder where desired.
Tips and warnings
- Sometimes it is easier to start the hole in the baby food jar lid first with a large nail and hammer and then drive the screw into the cork stopper.
- Never place candles near curtains, drapes, canopies or fabric where they can pose a fire hazard.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for