A sheepskin rug creates a warm addition to a room, especially when placed in front of a fireplace. Unfortunately rugs are exposed to pets, feet, spills and other things that can soil the rug or simply dull the colour. Some sheepskin rugs are dry clean only, so check the tags on the rug before attempting to wash it yourself. Washing a sheepskin rug is a simple process with the right products.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Sheepskin wire brush or vacuum with attachment
- Washing machine
- Non-enzyme cleaner for sheepskin
- Conditioner for sheepskin
Brush the wool with a sheepskin wire brush, and shake to remove dust. You can also vacuum the rug if you use an attachment.
Wash the rug in the washing machine on "gentle" cycle in warm water. Use commercial non-enzyme cleaner specifically approved for sheepskin.
Add commercial conditioner approved for sheepskin, and run the rug through a rinse cycle again. Spin the rug dry. Do not place it in the dryer.
Hang the rug to dry in a well-ventilated area. Periodically massage the leather backing to keep it from stiffening while drying.
Tips and warnings
- Shrinkage of up to 10 per cent is normal.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for