If you're a dog owner you are probably aware that dogs can get parasites or worms. You can use deworming medications to treat worms as well as prevent them. But when it comes to adult dogs, most veterinarians recommend only deworming if you find parasites or eggs on your dog or in the dog's fecal matter. Deworming medication is a poison, which kills the parasite, but it can make your dog sick, too. Using natural homemade dewormers is a good alternative.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Purified water
- Vegetable enzymes
- Grapefruit seed extract
Boil one quart of purified water. Add one bunch of fresh parsley into the boiling water and let simmer for 3 minutes.
Allow the parsley to cool in the water. Discard the parsley once cooled.
Give your dog 1 tbsp of the parsley water for every 4.54 Kilogram of your dog's weight each day.
Making Homemade Dewormer
Fasting is a good way to rid your dog of worms. These parasites feed off of the nutrients present in your dog's food. A 24-hour fast for a healthy dog will help clean out your dog's digestive tract.
Certain vegetable enzymes like the ones that are present in figs and papaya will actually eat away at the outer coating of tapeworms. You can add finely chopped figs to your dog's meals to kill tapeworms.
Give your dog 1 tsp of grapefruit seed extract daily. Grapefruit seed extract helps balance pH levels and creates an environment in which good bacteria can grow.
Other Home Remedies
Tips and warnings
- A strong immune system is key to keeping parasites at bay. Keeping your dog healthy will aid in preventing worms.
- If you believe your dog has worms, take a fresh fecal sample to your vet for testing.
- Know the type of worm(s) your dog may have before treating.
- Heartworms are a different type of parasite and need to be handled in another manner.
- Let your veterinarian know you are trying homemade remedies to treat and/or prevent parasites.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for