Hop to it with a creative, unusual frog-shaped cake assembled from individual cupcakes. Cakes made this way appear solid and elegant when they're served. However, cupcake cakes can be easily shared and eaten without a knife or other utensils. Assemble the cupcakes on a hand-drawn template to create the ideal shape and frost them together to create your cake.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Baking tray
- Coloured paper
- Green frosting
- White frosting
- Red Fruit Roll-Ups
- Black frosting
Line a baking pan with a large sheet of coloured paper. This is how the cake will be assembled and served.
Draw a large circle in the centre of the paper. This is the body of the frog.
Draw a horizontal line through the middle of the circle.
Draw an 'L'-shaped leg on both sides of the circle. The legs should start at or slightly above the halfway point of the circle and extend slightly beyond the end of the body.
Add two small circles above the body circle. These are the eyes.
Assemble the baked cupcakes inside the drawn template.
Frost the body and legs with green frosting.
Frost the eyes white. Use a piping bag to add a green border around the outside edge of the eyes. Add a coloured candy to the centre of each eye for an iris. A large circle of M&Ms works well. Jawbreakers, gumballs and other round candies can be used if they are pushed into the cupcake so that they protrude only slightly from the surface.
Use a piece of black liquorice to create a simple smile. The ends of the liquorice should be level with the tops of the legs. Create a tongue from a Fruit Roll-Ups strip. Make it angle off the cake.
Near the end of the Fruit Roll-Up tongue, place an extra cupcake. Decorate the cupcake with a fly made from black icing or candy.
Tips and warnings
- Decorate extra cupcakes like lily pads, flies, or other frog-related items. If many cupcakes are needed, create a log for the frog to 'sit' on by assembling several rows of cupcakes at the bottom of the pan and frosting them brown.
- Assemble the cupcakes as desired before frosting. Once frosted, the cupcakes will be difficult to rearrange.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for