Baseball is America's favourite pastime, and baseball jackets are synonymous with this historical sport. Creating your own personalised baseball jacket is easy and fun to do, and lets you represent your favourite team while showing of your personal flair and style.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Plain baseball jacket
- Spool of thread
- Embroidery logos
Determine which type of jacket you would like. Choose heavier materials such as wool or leather if you will primarily be wearing your jacket in a cooler climate; otherwise pick a light, flexible fabric like satin or nylon.
Determine which colour jacket you would like; make sure that it is representative of your team affiliation. Darker colours (purple, black, dark red) will absorb the sunlight and keep you warmer in cold climates; lighter colours (yellow, white, green) reflect sunlight and will help you stay cool in the summer.
Order your jacket shell from a website such as UESports.com or Become.com; do not attempt making a jacket shell from scratch. While waiting for your jacket to arrive, begin picking out the logos and embroidered patches that you will add to the jacket.
Choosing a Jacket
Once you have your jacket and patches, look over the jacket for any imperfections. Try it on to ensure that it fits the way you like. Lay out the patches on the jacket to determine their permanent positions.
Once you know where the patches will go, clean off the areas on the jacket to which you will be sewing them. Sew each patch one at a time, beginning with the largest.
Use a bit of masking tape to hold each patch in place while sewing; make sure to remove it before adding the final stitches. While sewing, ensure that the fabric underneath is taut (but not stretched) in order to avoid puckering or loose stitching. Important: affix each patch to just the jacket shell, not the internal lining.
After affixing each patch with one set of stitches, go back and add a second layer of stitches to ensure a secure bond.
Tips and warnings
- Buying a pre-made shell in your favourite team's colour is much more convenient than attempting to design a jacket from scratch, and ensures a perfect fit.
- For added flair you can add team pins to your jacket.
- If you are a diehard fan for your home city's sports team, add logos for basketball, hockey or football to show off your spirit.
- Do not attempt to make a baseball jacket shell yourself unless you have extensive experience in tailoring. Jackets tend to use many different fabrics and sewing techniques that provide them a blend of fashion and durability.
- Be extremely careful when using a needle and thread on a thick material like wool or leather.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for